Wednesday 17 April 2019 - 14:41
Story Code: 82702
Internal Archive News page Yemen
Trump Vetoes Resolution to End US Support of Saudi-Led War in Yemen
Trump Vetoes Resolution to End US Support of Saudi-Led War in Yemen
US President Donald Trump vetoed a resolution passed by both the Senate and the House of Representatives that sought to end Washington involvement with the Saudi-led war in Yemen, which has so far claimed thousands of innocent lives and left the impoverished nation struggling with the biggest humanitarian crisis in the world.
MWFpress - Trump on Tuesday vetoed a bill passed by Congress to stop American military support for Riyadh’s aggression on Yemen, describing the resolution as an "unnecessary", and "dangerous attempt" to weaken his constitutional authorities, Yemeni News reported.

The US leader also claimed that the attempt by Congress would endanger the lives of American citizens and troops.

According to Trump, the US is “not engaged in hostilities in or affecting Yemen”, with the exception of “counterterrorism operations against [Al-Qaeda] in the Arabian Peninsula and Daesh”.

Nor are any US military personnel “commanding, participating in, or accompanying” forces of the Saudi-led coalition operating in Yemen, he stated.

The US does provide “limited support” to the coalition, including “intelligence sharing, logistics support, and, until recently, in-flight refueling” of aircraft, but that is consistent with statutory authority given to the Pentagon and presidential powers as commander in chief, Trump said.

Trump added the resolution would hurt US “bilateral relationships”, counter-terrorism operations against Al-Qaeda and Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL), “negatively affect our ongoing efforts to prevent civilian casualties” and “embolden Iran's malign activities in Yemen”.

It was the second veto of Trump’s presidency. The first came in mid-March, when he vetoed a joint resolution opposing his declaration of national emergency on the US-Mexico border, the first time Congress had adopted once since passing a law on emergencies in 1976.

The United States has provided billions of dollars of arms to the Saudi-led coalition waging a devastating war in Yemen. Members of Congress have expressed concern about the thousands of civilians killed in coalition airstrikes since the conflict began nearly four years ago.

A report by CNN had revealed that Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had transferred US-made weapons to al Qaeda-linked militants, extremist militias and other groups on the ground.

The United Nations has warned that the situation in war-ravaged Yemen is further deteriorating as the Arab country is facing the biggest humanitarian crisis in the world.

“The humanitarian crisis in Yemen remains the worst in the world,” the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a statement.

Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a devastating campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the aim of bringing the government of former Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi back to power and crushing the Ansarullah movement.

Weddings, funerals, schools and hospitals, as well as water and electricity plants, have been targeted, killing and wounding thousands.

Official UN figures say that more than 10,000 people have been killed in Yemen since the Saudi-led bombing campaign began in March 2015. But the Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) believes that at least 56,000 people have lost their lives in the war. The violence has also left around two-thirds of Yemen’s population of 27 million relying on aid amid an ongoing strict naval and aerial blockade. According to the world body, Yemen is suffering from the most severe famine in more than 100 years.

Save the Children, a charity, has reported that more than 84,700 children under the age of five may have starved to death in Yemen since the Saudi regime and a coalition of its allies launched the brutal war on the already-impoverished nation.

Yemen is the world’s largest humanitarian crisis with more than 22 million people in need and is seeing a spike in needs, fuelled by ongoing conflict, a collapsing economy and diminished social services and livelihoods.

A number of Western countries, the US, the UK, and France in particular, are accused of being complicit in the ongoing aggression as they supply the Riyadh regime with advanced weapons and military equipment as well as logistical and intelligence assistance.

An Oxfam representative stated that the US, UK, and French governments are behind millions of people starving in Yemen because they are “supporting this war".

“We have 14 million people starving,” Richard Stanforth, Oxfam UK’s regional policy officer for the Middle East, told RT, adding that "British, French, American governments are all behind this, they are all supporting this war".

A UN panel has compiled a detailed report of civilian casualties caused by the Saudi military and its allies during their war against Yemen, saying the Riyadh-led coalition has used precision-guided munitions in its raids on civilian targets.

Source: farsnews
Share/Save/Bookmark